Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Learning about hemstitching

Today I warped onto the Beka 20" rigid heddle loom at 5 epi in Harrisville Designs New England Shetland for what'll be a weft-faced woven bag. Now as I go to start the weaving, I'm thinking about my ends, whether I'll seam the bag with the weaving folded as a U or sideways to the direction of my weaving; whether and where I'll put designs, along with the color changes I'll be playing with (a dark and a medium blue with varietaged blues, all in that indigo-flavored "that blue" hue family).

I'm pulling out various works and looking at hemstitching, because even if I put the weft-ends into a seam on the side of this bag, messing about with interesting hem stitching has a great appeal to me.

Some of my sources, and idea-frothing comes from:

Finishing Touches for the Handweaver by Virginia M. West, which has all kinds of ideas in a deceptively slim volume, and the most different kinds of hemstitching patterns and applications I've seen in one place. Excellent resource for the rigid heddle weaver.


The Weaver's Idea Book: Creative Cloth on a Rigid Heddle Loom by Jane Patrick, an excellent workbook for exploring all manner of topics, and has a few different hemstitching patterns. Jane covers all the basics and then goes on beyond.

Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving and Textures and Patterns for the Rigid Heddle Loom both by Betty Linn Davenport, has all the good basics for weaving on the RHFL, including some thoughts on finishig touches.

The one that's newer to me today is the Virginia West, and I'm delighted to poke through this work - I think I might need to do a sampler that's just variations on hemstitching techniques, since lookee there, here are so many ideas!


A note on links: I'm as likely to point you to a library listing as a where to get it link when I mention books; not being affiliated with any of the above, I've gone with a different source for each work linked above. Have fun exploring those sources and further descriptions of the works mentioned, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment